Friday, November 12, 2010

Note to self: Dance like no one’s looking


It's been so long since I danced. I'm not exactly sure why. I used to dance all the time, every chance I got. Weekends were all centered on where we were going to go to dance,what clubs had the best DJs, what we were going to wear to dance, when would be the next party, and the list goes on. Somehow over the years I stopped dancing. It didn't happen overnight. Just gradually, there were less opportunities to dance, life got into that settled (albeit happy) but content phase and movies on the couch or dinners with friends were more the norm. My husband is not a dancer, he's wonderful in every other way so that certainly wasn't a deal breaker, but it did make me a little sad. Maybe I knew all those years ago that if he didn't dance that I may not dance either. Well, I guess I did let that happen. Shame on me. A few weeks ago a wonderful thing happened. I was at a football party (of all places, because I am so not a sports person) and all of the ladies went to sit out on the porch and some this song came on that hit all of us and almost simultaneously we all just started dancing. It was like it was instinct or something primal - but boy was it wonderful. I am quite out of shape and it was exhausting and exhilarating and wonderful all at the same time. It brought back a feeling that I haven't had in a long time, almost a childlike happiness for no particular reason. So today, when I finally had everyone out of the house, with lunches packed and backpacks appropriately checked – I plugged myself in and sang at the top of my lungs with my spotted banana microphone 

and danced and twirled around my kitchen like a little kid just because I could – I feel awesome! I think I'm going to do this more often. So whatever you are doing right now – STOP – get up, crank up your favorite tunes and dance (even if you have to go hide in a bathroom somewhere) – it'll be worth it, trust me. Let me know how it goes – have a dancing day!
P.S. Thanks Julie & Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment