Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My workout gear has superpowers

Every so often I have visions of being skinny and fit. Those visions typically spur on the purchase of a new workout outfit, gadget or membership of some sort. These things are used passionately for about a week or so before they lose their new smell or appeal and into the pile they go. This particular pile must somehow be related to the infamous Sock Land (you know the place all of the missing socks go to hang out). However, my new gadgets take on their own superpower – the Cloak of Invisibility. Somehow they become invisible to my eyes and I only seem to notice them in pictures. For example, the aerobic step I just had to have for the Wii Fit Plus game (that I also had to have) now magically sits in plain sight in my living room, but I never actually "see" them. So, forgetting about all of my false starts and high hopes for the latest diet and/or fitness craze I've stumbled upon, I find it ironic that despite best intentions several times a year, I am still wearing the same old jeans (and they fit pretty much the same old way). So, when I ask myself again, where will I be in 5 years, or more specifically, what will I look like and wear 5 years from now, I think I may as well draw an X on my floor and take a picture of me in my favorite jeans and feel pretty safe that my answer is staring right back at me in the mirror. Now don't think I'm beating myself up here, not that I'm thrilled with the scary number that greets me on the scale on a regular basis – I am the happiest I think I've ever been in my life. So to stay happy if that means carrying around a muffin top in my beat up jeans, then so be it – it's just too bad that fat rolls are only cute on babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment