Sunday, February 21, 2010

One Word: Connect

My word for this year is 'connect'. I want to do a better job at connecting with those important people in my life. So often we get caught up in the busy-ness of life...homework, soccer, baseball, laundry, bills, errands, haircuts, doctor appointments, and did I mention laundry? Often we forget to make enough time for the really important things. I'm very conscious these days of the times I say "yes" to my kids vs. the times I say "no". I try really hard to find as many things as possible in a day to say "yes" to if I can. More importantly, if I feel that I can't, I hesitate to figure out why and if it's some old conditioning that says "don't stop in the middle of loading the dishwasher to do something else" - I take a good look at the something else. Most times that something else is a sweet request from my son to play a game, or from my daughter for help with a puzzle. Guess what? The dishes will still be there when they go to bed!
I've also found that I am a much happier person when I make time to reminisce with my husband about our older, funny memories as it reminds me of why we first fell in love. And, I can never go wrong with some quality ME time. I've stopped worrying about whether or not my siblings will be busy if I call and now I just call. Another piece of the puzzle that is really important is making time for my friends. So often I lose myself in the role of mother (don't get me wrong, I love it!) that I forget what the rest of me is all about. Recently I've been surrounding myself with friends, some new, some old and I truly feel happy! :-) I'm sure you've heard the old saying that I'll paraphrase for my own needs... if Mama is happy, then EVERYONE is happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment