Monday, March 1, 2010

I forgot something

Each morning, as a dutiful stay-at-home mom, I get up at 6:30am to get my middle school son up and out the door. We enjoy some basic morning chit chat and he has told me on several occasions that he feels lucky that I get up and serve him breakfast and pack his lunch each day. Although I am not a morning person in the least, I enjoy this one on one time with him, even if most of our conversation is one-sided in that I'm prodding him to get ready. (He has inherited my night owl tendencies as well).
This morning was a little rushed, as some mornings inevitably are and of course, the more rushed we are the more likely it is that a task that usually takes him one try, takes a little longer. So, after many iterations of "please hurry, you are going to miss the bus", my darling son was finally crossing the threshold of the front door. As I started to breathe a sigh of relief (since I could hear the bus lumbering down our street), I prepared to watch him make his way down the driveway and up the block to the bus stop as I do each day. Just as his foot hit the second step of our porch, he spun around and exclaimed "Wait, I forgot something!" Quite fortunately for me before I could launch into another chorus of 'hurry up', he ran up the steps to give me our traditional morning hug and kiss which had been overlooked in our rush to get out the door. Just as quickly as he appeared, he turned on his heels and ran to make the bus in time. Even as I write this many hours later, my eyes are welling up at how lucky I am to have a son (an almost teen, at that) that still feels it's important to give his Mom a kiss and hug before going to school.

Resulting scrapbook page:

No comments:

Post a Comment