Wednesday, December 1, 2010

It always comes in threes…


Good news and bad, it always seems to come in groups of threes. My heart is heavy today because of sad things going on around me. Recently I lost my Great Uncle John "Soupy" Suprum.  He was 85 and had a full life complete with good times. We attended his funeral which was much more of a celebration of his life rather than the grief of his death. Of course, he will be greatly missed, but to rationalize with myself, I feel content knowing that he had a good long life and I will cherish the memories I have of him.

On the other hand, this past weekend brought tragedy to our local area, and although I did not know any of these victims personally, because they were so young, I'm having trouble dealing with it. My 13 year old lost a friend, who also happens to be the daughter of my 8 year old's gym teacher, her name is Jamie Lynn Dickens. The other boy is a friend of a neighbor's child, yet one more young person taken before they have had a chance to truly live. Now while I am saddened by the death of my uncle, I am terribly upset by the death of these two kids. It just seems senseless and cruel and I cannot even begin to imagine what these families are going through. The sentiment in the schools is somber, my kids are mopey and I'm just trying to hold it all together. My heart goes out to everyone touched by these losses; I just don't even know what else to say on the matter. Children dying is just wrong in my book. And I'm mad at the Big Guy – so if I get struck by lightning, you'll know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment